(Last update: November 30, 2016)
Utilization of biomass is getting more and more important, with various purposes including countermeasure to the climate change, realization of the sustainable society, activation of rural area, economic development of the country, improvement of living standards, raising electrification rate, and saving foreign currency, depending on the country. As an international conference to discuss biomass academically, the 4th Asian Conference on Biomass Science will be held in Penang, Malaysia, following three previous ones in Japan. The papers will be published in the special issue of J. Jpn. Inst. Energy after review. Students, researchers, and those who are interested in Asian countries are invited to join. For the selected excellent paper presented by student who is living outside Malaysia at the time of conference, support for the student's travel will be given.
ANNOUNCEMENT AND CALL FOR PAPER (PDF File, 187 KB)
SECOND ANNOUNCEMENT (PDF File, 123 KB)
Presentation information Revised!!
1. Oral presentation
Each presentation is 15 min including discussion. Please present in 12 min, and leave 3 min for discussion. It is recommended that you bring your own computer because sometimes difference in specification results in failure of animation, foreign font projection, etc. However, if you still do not want to do so, you can bring your PowerPoint file in USB memory at your own risk. We will prepare a computer.
2. Poster presentation
Preferable poster size is A1. A0 is also acceptable but the lower part of the poster will be a bit difficult to read because the poster board is low. The organizing committee would like to apologize for the inconvenience.
The size of the poster board is 6 feet-width (1828 mm) x 4 feet-height (1219 mm; directly from the floor to the top), and each side is shared by two presenters. Thus, the size of the poster area for one person is 3 feet-width (914 mm) x 4 feet-height (1219 mm). Please prepare your poster in portrait orientation.
3. Cultural tour
Detail will be announced later, but the cultural tour will end back at the conference venue approximately at 4.30 pm.
Information of the cultural tour New!!
4th Asian Conference on Biomass Science Cultural Tour
(To UNESCO World Heritage Site in George Town)
Pick up: 9:00 am at the Conference Venue
Drop off: 4:30 pm at the Conference Venue
(If there are requests, the bus can proceed to the Airport AFTER stopping by the Conference Venue. The time arriving to the Airport subjects to traffic conditions, but it should be approximately at 5:00 pm.)
1. Weather may be unpredictable; good to prepare sun block and umbrella. Please also prepare a bottle of drinking water and lunch will be on your own expense.
2. If you cannot attend the whole tour due to flight schedule, we can arrange for a transport to arrive at the airport at 2:00 pm. However, please inform Ms. Musfirah (fyra[at]usm.my (Substitute [at] with @, please!!)) by 4 December 2016 if you need this arrangement.
- Organized by: Biomass Division, Japan Institute of Energy
- Co-organized by: Universiti Sains Malaysia, Asia Biomass Association, Hiroshima University
- Co-operated by (expected): Japan Alcohol Association, Japan Society of Energy and Resources, The Society of Chemical Engineers, Japan, Japan Technical Association of the Pulp and Paper Industry, Society for Environmental Economics and Policy Studies, Catalysis Society of Japan, New Energy Foundation, The Forest Biomass Utilization Society, The Japan Forest Engineering Society, The Japan Petroleum Institute, The Japan Gas Association, The Japan Society of Mechanical Engineers, Japan Sewage Works Association, The Japanese Forest Society, Japan Solar Energy Society, Wood Technological Association of Japan, The Japan Wood Research Society, Japan Organics Recycling Association, The Japanese Society of Irrigation, Drainage and Rural Engineering, Japan Bioindustry Association, Society of Biomass Utilization, The Japan Society of Material Cycles and Waste Management, Mokushitu Baiomasu Riyo Kenkyukai
- Date: Tue., Dec. 13, 2016
- Venue: Auditorium Murad (Ground Level, Block C, sains@usm, Universiti Sains Malaysia No. 10 Persiaran Bukit Jambul, 11900 Bayan Lepas, Penang, Malaysia) (Opposite Equatorial Hotel)
Access → http://www.usainsgroup.com/contact-us/
- Language: English
- Reception: Evening of Tue., Dec. 13, 2016 (Included in the registration fee.)
- Cultural Tour: Wed., Dec. 14, 2016 (Included in the registration fee.)
- Registration fee:
- Member of the Biomass Division, Japan Institute of Energy: 10,000 JPY (125 USD)
- Others: 12,000 JPY (150 USD)
- Homepage: http://jie.or.jp/biomass/events/acbs/
Registration should be made from the followint web site.
Schedule (Detail can be subject to change.)
Program will be uploaded to the homepage early November.
8:30 Registration desk opening
9:00 - 9:15 Opening
9:15 - 9:45 Keynote speech
9:45 - 10:45 Session OA
11:00 - 12:00 Session OB
12:00 - 13:00 Break/Lunch
13:00 - 14:00 Poster session
14:10 - 15:10 Session OC
15:20 - 16:20 Session OD
16:30 - 17:30 Session OE
17:30 - 17:50 Award announcement and closing
18:00 - Reception
Detail of the call for presentation
- Presentation should be related to biomass utilization.
- Presentation: Oral (10 min presentation and 5 min discussion) or poster (To be decided by the organizing committee)
- No qualification is needed for application.
- Due date for for application of paper presentation: Fri., Aug. 19, 2016
For application of presentation, send information through the following web page.
The following information is needed.
Presentation title/ Authors names and affiliation (Place * on corresponding author)/Abstract (200 words)/ Keywords/ Corresponding author's information (telephone number/ fax number/ e-mail address)
Due date for extended abstract: Fri., Sep. 23, 2016
Extended abstract in the form of pdf files should be submitted through the following web page.
Detail of the paper prearation can be found at:
Presentation number will be informed when program is ready (beginning of September).
- Best Student Presentation Award
Best papers presented by student living in countries other than Malaysia, which were submitted by due date, will be awarded, and the travel fee of the students will be supported up to 100,000 JPY.
If you have troubles for accessing homepage, or if you have any question, please contact the following e-mail address.
acbs2016b[at]ml.hiroshima-u.ac.jp (Substitute [at] with @, please!!)
- Takamitsu Arai
- Kinya Sakanishi
- Tomoko Sugimoto
- Ryohei Tanaka
- Naoki Tani
- Yoshinori Murata
- Koichi Yamamoto
- Takahiro Yoshida
- Takuyuki Yoshioka
Local Organizing Committee
- Abdul Rahman Mohamed
- Azlina Harun Kamaruddin
- Nor Aishah Saidina Amin
- Taufiq Yap Yun Hin
- Suzana Yusup
- Loh Soh Kheang
- Kelly Yong Tau Len
- Paritud Bhandhubanyong
- Jessie C. Elauria
- Jin-Suk Lee
- Haibin Li
- Dehua Liu
- Mohd Ali Hassan
- Unngul Priyanto
- Tran Dinh Man
- Yoshimitsu Uemura